2 DAYS / 1 NIGHT
Mae Kampong Homestay
Starting Chiang Mai & Ending Chiang Mai
Approximately 50 kilometers east of Chiang Mai and 1,300 meters above the sea level, Mae Kampong Village Community started with a few families settling in the area more than 100 years ago. The community- based ecotourism was initiated in 1999 and has been developed in response to the decline of demand for fermented tea production. The project also aims to be an alternative source of income for local villagers. Surrounded by a splendid natural environment, with lush evergreen forests, streams, mountains, beautiful waterfalls, friendly local people and various natural and cultural activities to do, this eco village becomes another native lifestyle place where you can spend your vacation experiencing and learning real local life and traditions.
Day 1: Chiang Mai to Ban Mae Kampong
In the morning, your private English-speaking guide will pick you up in an air-conditioned vehicle and drive you an hour east of Chiang Mai to the Mae Kampong village. On the first day, explore the small town and its farmlands, hike to a waterfall, enjoy a Thai massage, and share a home-cooked Thai dinner with your host family.
Sites and Activities
- Local Thai Store : Take a picturesque drive through cool, misty mountains to Mae Kampong Village and stop at a local store with your guide along the way. Browse the aisles of fresh produce and snacks and help gather fresh ingredients for dinner.
- Coffee and Tea Plantations : Explore the town center and then walk to the nearby plantations, which produce special crops that the local people tend to and sell for a living
- Mae Kampong Waterfall : Take a hike through the green jungle to the beautiful seven-tiered Mae Kampong Waterfall. Relax, enjoy the mist from the falls, and cool off in the refreshing water of the natural plunge pool
- Thai Lunch : Your guide will prepare a traditional Thai picnic lunch that you can eat by the waterfall
- Traditional Thai Massage : Return to the village and enjoy a one-hour traditional Thai massage. The therapist will use kneading and gentle push-pull stretching techniques to loosen your muscles
- Host Family Meal : After more rest time, join your host family for a home-cooked Thai meal before retiring for an early evening at a village homestay.
- Overnight in Mae Kampong Village
Day 2 : Ban Mae Kampong to Chiang Mai
On the second day of the tour, wake up before the sunrise and participate in a special almsgiving ritual with the village monks. Afterward, enjoy leisure time exploring the town and then visit a nearby natural cave before returning to Chiang Mai.
Sites and Activities
- Alms to the Monks : Every morning, townspeople gather to give alms to the monks. Watch the local Thai people respectfully give food, gifts, and other necessities to them. You are welcomed to follow your guide’s lead and partake in this traditional experience.
- Thai Breakfast : Eat a simple breakfast overlooking the beautiful mountains of Mae Kampong and sip on a cup of locally sourced, roasted, and brewed coffee
- Village Exploration : Pack up your belongings and enjoy some leisure time exploring the village at your own pace
- Muang On Cave : Ascend the 175+ steps into this natural attraction, home to beautiful high-walled caves, twisting tunnels, and gold-covered shrines. Local legend says this cave also contains a hair of the Lord Buddha.
Pickup and Drop-Off
You will be picked up from your hotel or guesthouse in Chiang Mai at 8:30 AM on the first day of the tour and ride in an air-conditioned minivan throughout its duration. The tour ends at approximately 4:00 PM on the second day. You will be returned to your hotel or the airport in Chiang Mai at approximately 5:30 PM.
What to Bring
- Wear comfortable walking shoes and bring sandals or flip-flops that can get wet
- A small backpack
- A bathing suit and towel (worn underneath your clothes)
- Two extra changes of clothing (t-shirts, shorts, socks, underwear)
- Hat and sunglasses
- Sunscreen and insect repellant
- A flashlight
- Personal first-aid kit (band-aids, disinfectant wipes)
- Personal toiletries including toilet paper or tissues
- Any prescription medication you require such as an asthma inhaler or allergy medicine
- Money for small purchases such as drinks and village souvenirs
- Camera (optional)
During the cool season (November to January) the nights can be quite cool. Pack a long-sleeved shirt, long pants, and socks to sleep in.
During the rainy season (June, July, and August) pack a light raincoat
2 Days 1 Night Homestay at Baan Mae Kampong
Chiang Mai, Thailand
|Tarif base on Thai Baht and per person||2-3 Pax||3-6 Pax||7-9 Pax|
|Package 2 days 1 night||11,700 THB||7,550 THB||6,850 THB|
- Private English-speaking local guide
- Direct pickup and drop-off at your hotel or guesthouse
- Transportation via an air-conditioned vehicle with a driver
- One breakfast, one lunch, and one dinner (three meals total)
- Basic accommodations and sleeping materials at a homestay
- Entrance fees
- Travel accident insurance
- Other expenses such as souvenirs, tipping personnel, and laundry fees
- Other meals and drinks besides those mentioned
- Other services not clearly indicated above
Pick up and drop off
Included in each tours from any Chiang Mai City Hotel or Guesthouse in a 3KM radius. From out of town we need to make arrangement or you need to meet us in the city to a meeting point.